Saturday, February 16, 2008

A Before & After Valentine Suprise!

Okay, so I wanted to something special for Billy for Valentine's Day but he is yet out of state for the 3rd year in a row for VDay. Since he was gone the whole week, I decided to do an project that I had never done before. Staining a piece of furniture...

Not just any piece of furniture....HIS USAFA blue trunk!

I personally did not know this could be done, but a friend of mine had mentioned that she knew someone who haad done it before. She & Iwere visiting last Sunday afternoon & she was telling me about it. The top of Billy's trunk had started to peel & was ripped & torn from al lthe moves in its lifetime. We started peeling the blue "vinyl" off. If you take an exacto knife & run it around the edges, it leaves a nice clean cut line next to the metal.

This picture is after the vinyl has been peeled away. I sanded it down & the proceeded to put 3 layers of American Walnut stain from HD . Then I sealed it with polyeurathain.
So, not too shabby for my first staining job if I do say so myself!


1 comment:

Audra said...

I love your surprise, because I love refinishing furniture. Did Billy love it? You did a great job. What's next?